Monday, March 12, 2012

More progress on the Raven's wing army

Progress on the Raven's wing army continues.


I have been putting the space marine list under pressure by play testing against multiple armies on vassel. One of the issues I kept coming up with was monstrous creatures or remnants of units on the periphery of the fight I don't want to dedicate a squad of bikes for a turn or 2 to take care of.
Trying to keep the theme of the pre-imperium dark angels and not wanting to add in chariots to the list (chariots in the thick woods? I just dont see it) I searched the internet for ideas digging into the fluff of the army. I settled on a unit of scouts armed with sniper rifles converted to look like watchers in the dark. Yeah the little robed jawas that you see running around the deep parts of the rock and the one they let out of the cages to carry around Azraiel's helmet.
So into the bitz box I went....
 After an hour digging around I came up with 20 2nd ed ork grots. Seeing as these have been in my bitz box since I replaced them in my ork army with gnobblars I figured it was a worthy sacrifice to the cause.
 another without the flash. I don't know if it makes a difference after all.

So for the conversion I clipped off the tip of the gun the grot is carrying, drilled into it and glued on one of the barrels from a tau burst cannon. Then shaved the ears and rim around the helmet, clipped off the spike on top, shaved off the face then drilled into it to give it a hollow look.
So the guy in the center there is my proof of concept model. The robes were done using a base of my white stuff to block in the large area between the grot's legs then liquid green stuff to "paint" in the hood and folds of the robe. Paint wise the robes will be scorched brown blending up to bleached bone, the gun will be a clockwork brass color, the hands a smokey grey color and the hole in the hood will be black. I'm planning on making a highly detailed display base for the army and these guys will be in the rear hidden in some bushes. So some lichen and static grass clumps will be on their bases.

Thats all for now.
Stay thirsty my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment