Monday, February 7, 2011

40k as I see it.


I was on the phone last night with the woman and i said. "I don't know what to write about on the website I'm just drawing a blank." She suggested that I talk about the different armies there are in 40k and soon I had morphed her response into a sick and twisted version of a review article. So here is the first installment of it.

The Scenic Route review of Armies of the Imperium.

Or... the quasi-good/bad guys if you piss us off.

First up the Imperial guard.
The imperial guard army has morphed allot as time has marched on in the imperium. In the early days the Imperial Guard were the backbone of the Empire. Billions of men marching in step being led into the great sausage makers of the universe. (Mmmm... Mordian meatballs) When you were facing the men of the guard you knew you were in for a fight as they would put HUNDREDS of men on the table. A 1500 pt game (yeah that was a big as we got back then) wouldn't take as long as you think because the guard had no movement phase. It was line em up and fire. Napoleonic in a way.
Then as the game progressed and games workshop started to ramp up their vehicle production the guard started to become true tread heads. There for a while there was even (get ready for this young lings you think its bad now?) The imperial guard armored company. In the armored company there was no need for infantry. You didn't have to take them. Lemen Russ as troop choices. Oh egad! This led to a strange rule that was called the golden bb. (well that's what we called it.) Where no matter what the weapon was that you were fireing at the tank is you will get a glance. If you roll a hit. Then a 6 to pen. Then another 6. Then another.... I think. It was pandemonium and in 4th edition they have been dropped completely. Thank the Emperor.
Now adays we have something never before seen on the able top for the guard. A true combined arms army. There are still way to many tanks floating around out there, but now they have air support. and the points to take a few squads of straight legs to dig the enemy out of cover. With the Imperial guard Games workshop did something so incredible game changing that I don't think it sank in until many months or years later. They added another dimension to the game. Enter the Valerye/Vendetta the single most game changing piece in all of 40k (Well unless you count the first Rhino MKI, if you have been around that long go grumble in the corner about all the damn kids I'll join you in a minute.) The 40k flyer. We have planes now.... I don't know how long you guys have been around but when i saw this it was "HOLLY FETHING CRAP!!!"

So in the sense of trying to get these a little shorter, let me summarise the guard for you.

Used to be nothing but guys with flashlights. Then it was nothing but allot of tanks and a few men with flashlights. Now it is a few men with flashlights, a couple tanks, and 2 models that make grown men go "WHOOSH!" every time they move it.

Over all great army, not one for beginners as they require allot of thought a large budget and patience since it is one of the armies with the most moving parts.

Next onto the Daemon hunters.

Hmmm Daemon hunters. I'm not very familiar with this army as I haven't played with or against it much but here's my take on them. They kill daemons, allot.


What that wasn't enough for you? ok well then...

Daemon hunters are one of the prettiest armies in 40k in my opinion. They are at the moment exclusively metal miniatures. They were concived as the elite of the elite being more expensive than a space marine army and having some special rules that work against you when you fight specific armies. They ahve a rule that allows chaos deamon squads to be recycled and come back to the fight. Awesome for a fluffy tuesday game with the buddies, but if you pulled a deamon player in a tournoment I could see that fluffy rule going horribly horribly wrong. (Actualy now that I have slowed my brain down for a minute and actualy had a clear thought, the only full deamon hunter army that I have ever played was by a notorious ass hat, I swear he was cheating through the game, and was so furious when I lost that I went out drinkin instead of finishing the tournoment. No wonder I dont know about them I must have put a mental block up against them or something...)
Well they will be getting a new codex soon so maybe I will get to know this army better as time goes on.


Thats it for today since the space marines alone will take about 7 pages...

Next time on the scenic route.

Space marines, why are they always screaming?

No comments:

Post a Comment