Sunday, February 12, 2012

After action report

Yesterday I went to a 1850 point tournament outside of my local area, it was a 2 hour drive and I was staring at my gas gauge the whole way wondering if I had enough cash on me to get back home. ( I always have these issues when I head out of town, its like the cosmic universe is telling me to just stay home but I don't listen to it.)

I got there with just barely enough to get home so after waiting until an hour after the scheduled start time we began. I was in the crapper when the pairings were given out so the other players showed me to my table. I plunked down my army introduced myself to my opponent and looked at the mission packet.
On top it said scenario 1 a kill point mission. 'crap I brought my dark eldar' I have 22 kill points in this army. I looked at the other army and he was playing logan wing space wolves. 5 drop pods, Logan, rune priest, 3 terminator squads, a dread, long fangs a razorback and one grey hunter squad for 13 total over there. Well here we go.
After some amazing rolls on my part and my opponent being relatively new ( I didn't know so I went right for the throat) at the end of turn 4 all that was remaining of the space wolves was 1 drop pod and one terminator. I had lost one squad of beasts and a single venom with warrior squad. So he knocked over his terminator and called it. We still had a half hour left in the round and I was hungry so I said good game, scored his sportsmanship and painting, wrote "full points" on my score sheet and walked out to go hunt down some food.What i didn't know yet was that I didn't get full points in the match and I had made a mistake in the mission that my opponent didn't say anything about.

So second round fires up and I am there for the pairings this time. I get set up with a guard player on a table with 1 building right in the center and three sets of the 'crashed lander' terrain on the whole board. "wow I am not going to be able to get cover anywhere" and then the TO yells out "We are doing scenario 1". I was puzzled because I had already gone through the kill point mission for the day. What I didn't know is that they started on scenario 2 for some reason just to change it up. Oh crap I am screwed and the guard player knew it as he blobbed everything and brought down his army to 9 kill points total. Well here we go again.

This game went all the way to the end and even though there were only a dozen imperial models huddleing in the back corner of the board, he won by 2 kill points.
I got the secondary and tertiary and then was told about not getting the full points for the first mission because my troops weren't in his deployment zone or in more terrain features than him or something and he still had one troop choice left.
I tried to explain on how I should have got full points because he gave up and also how it was only turn 4 and I had 16 dark lances staring at the one terminator, and I could have moved to where I needed to go. No dice I was told it was to late to change it now. So I went into round 3 just pissed.

Round 3 another space wolf, 4 rhinos with grey hunters 1 wolf lord 3 rune priests, 2 long fang squads with razorbacks, 2 landspeeders and again the only terrain that blocked LOS was a large tyranid egg in the middle of the board so again I have nowhere to hide. There were 3 objectives on the board and I set the center one to be the alpha one so it was the primary objective. Spearhead deployment.
I knew I had to get to him fast with my assault elements or it would have been all over so I went right on the line with my beasts and vects squad of nasty. I seized with vect and my whole army lurched forward and by turn 2  was in hand to hand with his entire army.

So on turn 5 he is down to his wolf lord contesting the alpha objective with 4 squads of warriors, vect, and 2 venoms pointing at him. He scoops and says there is no way that he will live through that. So I asked him if he conceded and gave me all the points. He says that I don't get the primary because his wolf lord was still contesting it.
This is where I feel that I came off as a dick. I told him to put his wolf lord back on the board and I will take my turn. The lord goes down and then I roll for turn 6 and get it. So then I make absolutely sure that I have every objective possible and that my units are where they need to be. I roll for a 7 and get it. Again make sure that my troops are in the spots they need to be. Then the game ends.

I felt bad for doing it but where I didnt get the points in game 1 I wasn't taking any chances. He packed up and left immediately after our game.

So the results are in and I placed third overall. After my second round I knew I needed to max out on the third to even have a chance. If you are reading this space wolf guy from round 3 I'm sorry and I'm not usually that way but if I needed to kill that wolf lord for the win, then he needed to die.

So even having to take on 2 kill point missions where I was handicapped by low KP opponents I pulled off a 3rd place finish. Now there was some trechery and shenanigans in the placeing for first and second but that didn't concern me and I scooted out the door for my 2 hour drive back home.

Vect's squad did great over all, their kills over the tourney were game 1 rune priest, grey hunter squad, drop pod. Game 2 they got a leman russ, chimera, a platoon command squad. Game 3 they went all out and got , 3 rune priests, 3 grey hinter squads, 1 razorback, and a rhino. I was happy with their utility as well letting me go first in all 3 games and redeploying my units so I could bait the enemy. They are pricey at 1850 but i think they are just about worth it.

Stay thirsty my friends

1 comment:

  1. Wow, are all the tourneys up there so full of drama? Dan, next time there is one up there lemme know, new opponents and a different scene may be good for my 40k participation. I would even offer to drive.

    JD3

    ReplyDelete