Saturday, June 18, 2011

voices on the internet

I'm part of a localish 40k group on yahoo and there has been allot of activity on it the last few days. So i popped in there to see what has caused this Internet uproar.

So i decided to put the thread on here. I had to run a quick spellcheck just to keep my sanity though.




Hey guys,
 Yep I am still around just busy with this and that and ... the other.
But, I lurk ... of course.
The question is "is Warhammer is simmer mode", kind of like turning the
stove down or sliding it to the back burner. No, Warhammer is not dead ... yes I hear that and its an ignorant comment. But I will say that "overall
activity" is quiet for the most part.
 Is it the economy and/or general socio-economical conditions?
 Is it the fact the GW yet again lost their mind telling us Finecast was
gone to because it was cheaper to manufacture than the lead and then ...
raised the price ... yes, it sounds very GW (no ranting here, just
speculating on causes)?
 Is 40k in a waxing mode, is the moon just right?
 Have other non-GW games dipped into hobby time?
 Is it because of 8th Edition ... yes, Warhammer is still fun because its
 social, but the comments I hear is that 8th jus went over the top and round the bend with some of its game design philiosphy and practice?
 Again, this not a rant post ... this is not a Warhammer is dead post.
 I am curious as to the general state of the game AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME... and hobby/community as they interact with hobbyist.
 So, did the moon pull and the waters move ... and at the moment is the tide out? I chose the tide analogy because it doesn't mean things have run
dry, just low, and awaiting the tide to turn ... which begs to ask the following?
When will the tide turn? And, what will cause the tide to move?
 My best to all of you, and I hope this ends up being an interesting and fun discussion.
 Hi -----. I say while not dead Fantasy is in a coma. Darkside cant get a
tourney to go off due to lack players, not effort. In Ft. Myers Fantasy is
so bad you could say that a Stop Feeding order has been issued. I have my
hate for Fantasy. I will save for myself but I do feel sad and do have
respect for those that have stayed invested in that horrible game with
their
armies. I have not.

 40k is interesting. The effects of hyper competitive lists with the aid
of Internet group think and add in a little codex creep has diminished mine

and several other players I know enjoyment of the game. Yet the base rules
are sound. (saving grace for 40K?)

Issues I have with the game and I know others have with 40K are:
 My IG with no anti-psyker and overpriced infantry and heavy weapons teams
are quickly becoming obsolete. The Space Wolves and Grey Knights players
don't win in the numbers they are winning because of just being "good"
players. If GW "corrected" those dex's weapons costs we would see a lot
more
army types and less counts as crap (more later). Poor TAU, Necrons and
Chaos
Space Marines IG we and more are in the same drop pod so to speak! Well, I
waited 5 years for my IG dex and its a good 2 years old so in 3 years or so

 I will be on top! Yeah? Not really.
 I will say this, I am tired of seeing unpainted and counts as. If you
cant paint. I understand as I cant see for S___! Still, PAY someone I did!
Want to play Space Wolves then paint them Space Wolf Grey. Blood Angels
should be Blood Red. You get the idea. Heck if the army is not painted It
should NOT be permitted on the table at a tourney. I would give a 1 unit
exemption to that rule at most tourneys.

 Counts as is total BS as is Characters. I so rarely play someone that
does not play with a named character or 3. Named characters are so bad I
feel I must play 1-3 to just try and hang with the power game. How popular
is Marbo for IG players? I am going to puke now as I have to use him now!
Characters make me sick! Counts as has much to do about the painting issue
with all those Ultramarine Blue Space Wolves and Blood Angel Armies out
there. I am going to let you all in on a secret. At a tourney if you don't
try to cheat me and don't have a Named Character and play a themed painted
army I will give you a Max Sportsmanship score every time! I don't care if
we have to pull the rulebook or pistols out 100 times during the coarse of
the game. Put a Named Character and or counts as crap in your list and You
had better make that game FUN for me or its bottom score for you. Its
gotten that bad out there.

 After saying all that. I went to a Darkside tourney 2 months ago with a
couple guys from Ft Myers and we all had a blast. We did not even go .500
in our group at the event but we will go back. But gas is up there these days
and for some, employment is a issue. Like not having it, me! Seeing
different players helps to keep the game fresh but so would seeing painted
armies. So if people stop traveling its bad for the game.



That's my feelings on 40K ------ I feel better.

I am glad I could give you the opportunity to rant a bit ... though not
what I was after, glad you feel better.

Now to go off topic ...

And yes ... unpainted frosts my ass ... a guy with new stuff is excited and
hey, glue em together and lets play but after 18 months at least put primer
on them and get a paint roller ;)

Counts as is not so bad for me ... I used my Dianas in a FoW game the other
week to "count as" Bisons because I wanted to try the unit and was not going
to spend $ to find out I hated how they played ... I now, not apples to
apples ... I know where you are coming from as after all WHFB had the
WORLD'S GREATEST PROXIER EVER ...
(Censored) ... in games with ---- at GTs
every other question was "and what is that unit again? oh, its a giant?
hmmm, looks like nine halflings ranked three by three" ... ah, yeah.

> I agree 100%. I've never played in an Ard Boyz myself, because I don't like
>
> he lone focus it places on W/L. That's just not the kind of game I enjoy
> laying. However, this is clearly where GW's head is at given the prize
> upport they put into it. Compared to normal prize support for local events
> p this way, there is no comparison



Why? That is the Ard Boyz mentality. The only thing that matters is W/L. Bring a
nasty list-no penalty. Bring unpainted-no penalty.


Why should there be a penalty if someone wants to win?

So if I brought a list that you thought was to tough or had 2 special characters
but I was fun to play against and we had no rules problems then I am still wrong
in your mind?


What if my army was awesome to look at with conversions and a good paint job?

What if I have a theme that no one else is doing and I still curb stomp you?

Does that still make me a win at all cost tool?





I second that. I'm not a WAAC player by any means (unless Necrons are cheesy, in
which case I would appreciate if you tell that to my opponents. I could use the
intimidation factor). But I love playing challenging games, where both opponents
are on the wire, trying their damnest to win. I like strategy, and thinking, and
hard fought victories.

Why is there such a stigma to that? Why are wargamers supposed to be ashamed by
wanting to, you know, win a game when they sit down to play? When I sit down
across an opponent, I WANT him to want to play the game AGAINST me! I want him
to his best, and if I win, let me think that it was awesome! Let me fucking
enjoy the victory! When I lose, I WANT to say "Wow, that was a great move
there!" I want to think, be challenge, learned new strategies, tax myself! I
want to feel my brain meats working for it!

Why do we have to act as if we don't care? What's with this "oh, wait, you care
if you win? THAT MAKES YOU AN ASSHOLE!" attitude that permeates this game?

It's a game! I don't even play at that many tournaments. I play with my friends.
But you know what they do? Play the game!

I mean, I get it, I've met jerks at tournaments that really kill the fun of the
game. You know what really, really pisses me off too? When I play with someone
and the moment things don't go their way, they start doing stupid shit because
"it's only a game!" and they don't care if they win or lose. The "Let's have a
drink! Have fun! Look at the silly thing I just did, whee!" attitude is just
passive aggressive bullshit because people don't want to admit that they lost
fair and square, instead they want to say that they meant to lose all along,
that the game doesn't matter, nothing matters, and you're a WAAC if you were
really trying to play the game.

I call bullshit on all that. I'm against people who don't give a shit about the
game and only show up to rub their virtual penises by beating people in as cheap
a matter as possible, but they're not the end all-be all of the problem. I think
the "wanting to win is bad" camp is just as much of a detriment to the hobby.


Just my two cents.




So there is just a touch of the local mentality towards our favorite hobby. Im still currently in a boycott GW mode over the price hikes so for now I am an outsider looking in. But feel free to post comments here about how you feel the current state of the games are.

1 comment:

  1. The ridiculous amounts of emails spawning from that is driving me crazy......

    ReplyDelete