Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Been a while huh


Ok long story short, I moved and it took longer than I expected to get the interwebz pumping to my new place.

In the weeks that I have been gone I have had a few requests in my inbox for articles. I will be doing a cheap alternative for putting robes/tabbards on your models in the near future. But first I bought a new fine cast archon and have a model review on the bugger.



So i popped the sprues out of the blister and this is what I found
2 sprues 2 detached heads and lotsa flash, lets look at them individually.

heads, sword and back thingy. First thing I saw was that the head I wanted to use had a rather large bubble on the left top point. (stage left) The lower point of the blade just wasn't there. So that left me with the other head to use. Clipping the other items out of the sprue left me pleasantly surprised at the consistency of the new hybrid material. It cuts almost exactly like plastic. No dust no cracking just smooth cuts. Good on you GW. (See I can give compliments) The next thing I noticed is that there is allot of play in the pieces. Not that they don't fit but that they are a little "wiggly". Kind of like the plastics used in all the click game models. Not completely rubberised but just enough to make me uncomfortable with it.

Next sprue
crap picture I know.
There was an incredible amount of detail in these pieces. Again bravo GW. The flash was easy enough to get off but with this particular model it was a little puzzling to figure out what exactly was flash and what was a spike or an intentional dangley bit. One plus I also found was that with the resin you can chop the support between the legs easily to place the model on a scenic base easier. The downside though is even if you don't want to do that to get the model to fit in the standard base supplied you have to scrape all the lettering off of the support. A sharp knife and steady hands took car of that easily enough.

Leaving me with this.
Overall the model looks great before paint, detail is exquisite and the resin hybrid opens up all kinds of opportunity for conversions. Is it worth the added costs of the new model and packaging. I am still on the fence about this but your mileage may vary. As of right now it is still sitting on my paint rack waiting patiently in line for its turn in the spray booth. I will post pics once I get it done.

When I was importing pictures from the camera here are some shots from the tourney I went to last month and some brief details about the games.

Game 1 I played against grey knights. Of course I pull my nemesis in the first round. The picture shows my 3 vemons with trueborn volley firing into his stormraven. (I never dropped it) He played a paladin heavy list with 2 squads of palies, 2  purge squads,  2 psyfile dreads, a stormraven, crowe, vindi assassin, and the storm shield guy. It was an objective mission and I won it on turn 5 with a sneaky squad of warriors claiming an uncontested objective. I FINALLY BEAT THE BASTARDS!!!! Great game and I wont mind to play the Knigit player again.
Round 2 I played nids. MC and genestealer heavy. Everything was in reserve or outflanking. Here is my deployment on round 2. I call this the "circle the wagons" tactic. Mostly did it just to set up this shot. It was a bloody battle and we fought to a tie in victory points. The highlight of the game was when I killed all 3 of his trygons in 1 round of shooting.

Game 3. Me against a mech eldar army. Both of us refused the opposite flank and I tried to hug the only cover on the board. I walked into this one knowing I was going to lose horribly. Not because I was scared of his list but that we were playing the absolutely ridiculous round 3 ard' boys scenario where everything in the army that can move more than 6" counted as 3 kill points. I hit the board with a possible 72 kill points on the board... they counted fleeting too. He was around the 40 point range. My only chance was to table him and lets face it with 2500 points on the board I wasn't going to do it. It was a good game though and if it wasn't for the scenario I would have pulled it off. I think I sacrificed 12 kill points just trying to kill eldrad because I wanted a moral victory. Alas it wasn't so. I suffered a crushing defeat. (Even though I had killed off far more of him than he killed of me)

Overall great time. After I tied the second game I was just there to have fun. Sometimes I like being in the losing bracket it takes all the pressure off and I can relax. I will be returning to the darkside in the future for tourneys so look out Sarasota boys the dark kin want a rematch!

Here is a link to their forum in case some of you SW Florida guys want to come have some fun with them. http://the-dark-side.forumotion.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment