Sunday, June 26, 2011

New ways of looking at 40k


I know I promised that there was going to be a tabbard tutorial but unfortunately I have lost the camera that I have been using for all my pics. (so maybe now there will be some decent photos when I get a new one) That is not what this is about though.


I was reading 3++ today and saw a post about hybrid dark eldar lists. I read through it and it got me thinking abut how i build my lists and why I do what I do. If you haven't read my lists on here my DE are very in your face, short ranged, then get out and beat you like red headed step children.
I love this kind of tactic fro a few reasons. First and foremost, I am a speed freak at heart. I know I don't like to admit it but i have had the most fun in 40k when my armies are flying toward my opponent at breakneck speed cramming their transports down their throats.
Second I love the "holy crap" look it gives my opponents. They see a dozen transports flying at them at high speed and they start to panic. This is what can win me the game as I start to see dev squads try to relocate to not get assaulted and people react badly to the pressure.
With the weapons I use in the army my sweet spot is around 12-18 inches. Blasters flying through the air (usually doing nothing, damned dice) Poisoned rounds dropping infantry, ha ALLOT of poisoned rounds zipping through the air. Transports swooping low, warriors and wyches hopping out with enemy fire pinging off hull plates and flickerfields. Explosions ripping through both forces, tracer fire stitching through the air, the screams of the dead and dieing, culminating in my forces stealing the souls of the enemy.

Unfortunately with the way the game has progressed lately. It has started to become really boring, the game has devolved into two forces just sitting their inside their metal boxes shooting until the other metal boxes are blown up then moving toward objectives. Almost no movement to be seen. What was once a dynamic game has moved backward into... just dice rolling. Maybe its just in my local area but I miss the tactical games. The ones where terrain actually mattered, close games where single assaults could make or break the game and the will of either general. 6th edition looks promising to change this but I know that after a few weeks the net listers and the power gamers will find the right combinations to make it unfun again.

I ran a 40k tourney this weekend. Well I almost did. We had 5 guys show up and after 1 round most of us decided to screw it and play Mordheim instead. With the new policies coming from on high at GW, the new codexes being so overpowered to the point of ridiculousness, and the freaking price hikes... I feel like this weekend I finally saw the light leaving the lifeless body of the 40k community at my local store. I'm not mad, mostly disappointed and it brought me to a weird place. I'm looking back at my 40k history and now I don't see much of a point.

Thanks for the 12 years of fun 40k, but I just don't think we are best friends anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment