Saturday, September 24, 2011

New army time


I know I promised battle reports but vassel takes a hell of a lot of time to write one up if you have tried go for it and Ill see you next week.

But for now I have been having ideas about my next army. The Dark Eldar will continue to be my competitive beat face army for the foreseeable future so this one will fall into the for fun/hobby category.

I'm planning on doing a scout company army.

Playin around on ole army builder got me a list like this

Company master
10 scout bikes 3 with grenade launchers
2x10 scouts with sniper rifles and a heavy bolter
2x5 scouts with a missile launcher
2x10 scouts with combat blades
2 land speeder storms
a lascannoned up predator
2 legion of the damned squads with a melta gun and multi melta

come in at 2000 pts

So I popped over to the GW site and placed all the models in the shopping cart. (I'm not going to buy them right this second but I want to know what I am getting myself into) Holy crap this is going to cost me over $600 bucks..... well that's no bueno for a for fun list.

So the creative wheels start to turn.

I saw a great guard army made from bretonian men at arms and I liked the style of it. inquisitor forces on BOLS

I look at these and think "it wouldn't be a far stretch to say the armored great coats gave them a 4+ save. Oh look at that I get 16 in a box. I'm sold.

So 70 of these guys puts me at around $150

now this has changed me theme completely. So what am I going to do with it....
I'm currently rereading
I just love the look and feel of the forces of mars. So I guess these will be a army of Skatarii. (I forgot how to spell that.. don't hate me) This makes a theme for me and also helps me with the base colors. He he i love it when the thinking does this for me.

So this and the fact that i looked and saw the storm can only hold 5 models made me go back and revisit the list.

HQ chapter master
10 bikes 3 grenades
2x 10 scouts with sniper rifles and a missile launcher
2x10 scouts with bolters and a missile launcher
2x10 scouts with 5 shotguns,a power weapon, 4 bolters and a missile launcher
2 thunderfire cannons
a lascannoned predator
2 landspeeder typhoons with missiles and heavy bolters.

2000 pts

So now were talking, but since we are now the mechanicus we cant use the stock vehicles, that would be a tragedy. So some skimming over my various 40k alternative vehicles sites I came up with this.

Hmm this has some potential.

So this isn't only going to save me about $50 but its going to go with the theme and be fun to build as well. Ahhh I love it when a plan starts to come together.

Then there is the thunderfire cannons. I think a trip to the Lowe's plumbing section will get me the copper pipes that I need to get this done. 4 barrels, a box to mount them on and load the shells and a tripod/quad pod/base to mount it to.

As for the techmarines and chapter master.

yep he looks like he fits the mold for the mechanicus a little bit. I need two to go with the thunderfires and one for the chapter master so into the cart they go.

Then the predator. I have enough bits laying around here for the lascannons. So for the hull. A good ol chimera chassis will be the basis. I'm going to heavily modify it by riveting the entire thing if it isn't already and scraping the imperial aquilas off of it and add in the mighty cog symbol.

As for the bikes.....

YES!YES!YES!!!!!! wait.... DAMN IT GW!!!! they shut this model down before I could get my hands on it.... oh well. I guess I will have to see if I can get close to this because this is as close to what I was thinking about as anything.

Well lets look at this now.
Decent army list that is going to be fun to play :check
converting and painting to let me spend some quality time on it :check
a good theme :check
under $500 :check its actually more like $300

So I think we have a winner. I'm not going to be able to start this tomorrow because I have worries about where the rent is coming from this month but watch this space for updates on the mechanicus scout army of doom.

1 comment:

  1. Might I suggest these instead of those bikes??

    http://kromlech.eu/?page_id=241

    I'm looking into the possibility of using the Zephyr missile launcher in place of my DW's CMLs...

    ReplyDelete