Sunday, September 25, 2011

semis game 1 vs dark eldar

Ok so in my first post ard boys rant I said that I lost the tourney on the first die roll. He goes first so here is the battle report.


Vassel doesn't do justice to the general lack of terrain on the tables. When I walked in and saw them I thought "well I'm never getting a cover save today. The hills here represent some rubble patches that were about a half inch tall, not enough to hide even my razorwing flocks behind. So he took the north zone and I got stuck with the south.



He placed everything toward the center. His beasts out front and his messenger in the far right raider.

Deciding that I could split his fire I placed my 2 ravagers on that flank hoping to take a few shots and down the messengers transport. Everything else of mine stacked on the left side of my DZ. the messenger going in the raider with my wyches. The beasts... god there was nowhere to hide them so i decided that I'm going to use them as fire magnets and place them right in the middle in the open to absorb everything thrown at them.

So I try to seize and even though I said a dozen hail marys I didn't get the roll.

His turn 1 he instantly vaped the beasts with the missiles from his fighters. The beasts lunged forward, and he indeed split his forces to go mess with my ravagers. Stunning both of them hiding in their little cocoon behind the one piece of terrain that was over 1" tall.

My turn 1 I lunged forward on the left. The raiders dropped all the passengers I could. I didn't have room to get the last out and lend fire support. Warriors fired into beasts and raiders doing negligible damage. i wrecked a riader immobilised another and killed enough beasts out of the closest pack to force a test and they routed. The archon and wyches assaulted everything in range and killed everything in range. The razorwing fighter I thought was going to do massive amounts of damage because of all the beasts swarming the middle of the board. I launched all my missiles and was rewarded by killing less than 5 beasts. Damned cover. i thought true line of sight meant if you can see over half of the squad they didn't get cover. he thought otherwise. Since we were already low on time as it was I didn't want to call a judge over to take up even more time because he was winning at this point. More on that later.

Turn 2. He was able to use the last of the missiles from his fighters to kill off all the wyches and the messenger. My archon held strong though. His beasts rallied somehow and them paired with the large pack charged into the warriors I had on foot. The darklances from the fighters and living raiders smacked into my tin foil ships on the left flank. Flickerfields can only do so much. He killed 3 of the 4 and the explosions killed almost all the warriors I had out. The rest ran for their lives. A darklance from somewhere dropped my fighter and I went into a depression of sorts at this point. I looked up at the clock. 45 minutes left huh.

I ran through my turn. Shooting was ineffective at best. The only thing I remember was blowing his left raider and the archon getting over the hill to assault and kill the squad.

Turn 3. He didn't do much with shooting, He killed the archon with concentrated effort from his remaining darklances. Then the beasts multi charged about my entire remaining army. Blew all the venoms and trueborn inside.

My turn I flopped around like a dead fish and didn't kill much.

He wanted to go for another turn, looking at the clock we had 15 mins left. I said no because his last moving phase took 20 minutes.

Game over i got massacred.

My gripes of the game.

NO COVER. I couldn't hide anything from him blasting it apart. Come on TO's more terrain please were playing 40k not fantasy.

SLOW PLAY. His first turn 1 hour and 45 minutes.... nuf said. The TO came over and reminded him that he was the one that was complaining about slow play in the beginning. Damn it.

COVERSAVES. His central beast squad was so large that I could see about 75% of the models in it when the fighter opened up. He took his 3++ from the baron. Me being a nice guy and in the interest of time I was fuming but didn't say anything because I thought I could still pull it off without crippling that squad.

Overall I had a crappy game. Crappy opponent, crappy terrain, crappy mission, crappy tactics. Bad juju all around. This game is the reason I don't like to play competitively much anymore.


I went into the next game just pissed that I drove almost 3 hours to get here and play a d bag. I think I took it out on my next opponent. Grey Knights.

Here's a little teaser of how things worked out for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment