Thursday, January 20, 2011

The MSU paradox


I have been on the Internet allot lately looking at other sites and blogs about Dark Eldar and I have seen a strange trend.

Why so many small units?

Warrior squads of 5 men. Trueborn squads of 3. Wracks and Grotesques with only 3 models? I dont get it.

Maybe its just me being a ancient gamer nostalgic for 40k back in the Jurassic period but I don't like squads so small. I feel they lack punch and can either be easily ignored or in most cases swatted out of the sky for an easy kill point or 2.

Another thing is if I take small squads in a 2k point game I start to run out of FOC slots and I have to stack up on the pretty (sometimes useless) wargear. I believe the best piece of wargear to buy a soldier is another soldier standing next to him. This way I have the ability to put out more firepower, take more hits, and god forbid that one of my warrior squads get blown out of a transport and assaulted I might just have a chance to pin the enemy squad there so one of my wrecking crew squads can come in and support; thus saving a kill point and letting the warriors get to cover, high ground, an objective and still support the army from there.

BOLS has a VBR up with Darkwynn as the Dark Eldar taking on goatboy and his orks. A list like Goatboy's I would salivate over. My army has the firepower and assault capabilities to pop those boyz and the survivability (with numbers and unit selection) to take fire better than he did.
Now I'm not saying Darkwynn dosent know what he is doing. Not by a long shot. I knew Darkwynn way back in the day when he was playing eldar across the table from my chaos cultist army a decade ago. He spanked me back then (but come on I was playing cultists on a 17 year olds budget). I'm just commenting on his unit selection. I just didn't get it. He still won and great for him but he didn't embody the lightning fast nuke that the Dark Eldar can be.

Hmm since no one reads this blog let me go ahead and say this. (maybe it will raise my interwebz hitz)

I challenge the BOLS team.
Me and the guys from Guerrilla gaming challenge you to come over to our side of the gulf and game with us for a weekend. We can make it a no holds barred 40k cage match and see who walks out triumphant!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you fitz for volunteering us, But i am always down for a game and would like to give my skills a chance again the BOLS team. I know i can speak for Zak and he is iching for some games with them as well. Who knows maybe they will read this and take us up on your offer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So here I am, waking up at the crack of 1pm, eating my oatmeal, and what do I come across?

    I've been signed up for a 40k death match...Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete