Monday, January 31, 2011

A gem from goatboy


Alright I hate doing this so much. (tearing things from the pages of BOLS) but lets face it as far as 40k on the Internet, that's a large part of it. But today Goatboy came out with a post that tried to justify his new "counts as" Spacewolf chaos army.
The post wasn't written very well and halfway through it turned into him trying to justify the army to himself mostly. The comment section was a great read. (the comments over there are always good. Never on the topic but good to read.)

Now I know everyone has their opinion about using counts as models. There are the purists that if your space marines aren't green, you cant take Vulkan. This usually leads to having a crap game or none at all. After the game this Monarch of the elitist and pious will not stop bantering you about your army selection.(Hmm I can think of one of these now, from him you would have thought my name was Heretic.)

On the other side of the spectrum there is the guy who doesn't mind at all. "These girl scout cookie boxes are battlewagons and those pieces of paper over there are ork lootas who I never care to purchase ever." They say that is all good and get to playing.

Now everyone falls into the spectrum somewhere in between these two examples. I however fall into a tricky spot here as I need to have 2 settings on my counts as meter.

So here we are. Where I stand.

I run the tourneys around here so that is why there are 2 levels needed. The first one is me when I am not being all official and its a Tuesday or some such thing and we met up at the store with plans to go out later for a few beers. Here, I don't give a damn. I'll let your marines be necron, your Darth Vader stand in for a chaos lord and your boot on a t/p roll be a storm raven. Its fun time.

Now on the 3rd Saturday of the month and you see me buried beneath paper work and already having to go through setting up a dozen tables, don't you dare at the last second tell me that your tyranids are playing as sisters of battle today. Or that the Bic pen with some toothpicks glued on are your lascannon teams.

There is a unwritten/written rule at tourneys, and it is called WYSIWYG. The rule as written translated to (mainly for my g/f who has no idea what half the stuff I write means) What You See Is What You Get. So if the model has a bolter and I assume its a bolter don't spring it later that that is actually a melta gun.

Again with all rules written by GW there is some wiggle room. If its a conversion, and a well planed and executed one, or if you are using some other model lines conversion pieces. I will allow it. To a point. I can tolerate WAAC gamers, but there comes a point. Don't piss on my head and tell me its raining.

1 comment:

  1. HERETIC!!! "BLAM!"

    In all seriousness proxying I find is ok within friendly games, and "counts as" is ok within tournaments.

    Proxy being a 20 oz soda bottle for a rhino, counts as being Dark Angels being played as codex marines. There is another great article on BoLS on this very subject.

    ReplyDelete