Wednesday, January 26, 2011

When it all goes wrong...


Played a game last night against nurgle and his excellent quality imperial guard army with my standard list i have been working with. I lost, and it wasn't that I lost it was why I lost that is driving me absolutely crazy.

It was capture and control. I set up first and went first. Set up my 3 ravagers on my objective hugging cover in case he stole the initiative. All the raiders and the jetbikes on one flank ready to zoom in and start the killing. He started all of his straight leg infantry on the board with a couple of missile teams, squads with autocannons, vets with demo charges, and both command teams, holding his 3 leman russ and a whole platoon in chimeras off the board. He covered most of his board edge.
The came started incredibly well for me with a reaver squad turbo boosting over a missile squad and wiping it, another squad beaten down by the other reavers and all my raiders moving to pounce next turn. The ravagers moved forward into more cover and started sniping at a squad because there was no armor on the board.

He sot at me a bit and didn't do much as far as damage goes. Well nothing notable at least.

Turn 2 Leilith and all the wyches get out and start going on a killing spree. His flank was shot to hell with all the splinter weapons and after that turn there was little left except a lieutenant in combat with lelith and one squad of reavers and a single melta gunner.

His turn he gets the platoon in. 4 Chimeras armed with heavy flamers and multi-lasers.

Were gonna focus on the retarded from here.

So his Chimeras came in. he put 2 on the flank where all the action was happening and the other 2 on the left flank to make a run for the objective on my side of the board. Ha I have 3 ravagers over there he wont make it I have him dead to rights! So on my turn I do some terrain hopping and fire 2 ravagers at his command squads chimera. stun stun and weapon destroyed. Hmm not to good but Ill take it. The other Ravager fired at the Chimera trying to be sneaky in the back. With smoke he made his cover saves. Hmm no problem.

Next turn he gets his leamen russes in. Fires trying to kill my infantry with one and takes a shot with the other at the ravagers. Battle cannon deviated and hit both the ravager in the rear of the pack. Saved by cover. The lascannon shot zipped off into space somewhere.

My turn I see what the issue is and its the chimera I have to stop that so I pop over hills and fire all 9 barrels at it. ZAP ZAP ZAP! The tank is unscathed... freaking dice. Oh well it has allot of board to cover.

His turn he drops a ravager with a lucky shot. Oh well.

My turn 6 more barrels at the chimera. ZAP ZAP!.... nothing. WTH...

His turn more maneuvering and his russes focus on the warriors and wyches that are running around completely stoned on souls at this point. He fires the chimera at the ravagers and whiffs.

My turn I move the ravagers 12" and sit on both sides of the objective. (They are gonna have to blow me off of here to get it. ZAP ZAP!... NOTHING! AGAIN!!!

His turn he moves the chimera up and jumps the troops out. He knows the odds are stacked against him. He fires a multi laser at one. WHAT! it went down! seriously! *grumble* Well he cant take the last one out he has no anti tank with that squad. He charges it. "I have krak grenades and a melta bomb on the Sargent" he says. Well that's fine it takes a 6 to hit me, what are the odds. 9 kraks no hits. Whew. he wont roll a... *whimper*... he did crap. he planted a melta bomb. Well that's ok tanks are resilient in 5th. penetrating hit. no surprise there. (at this point he has rolled 3 6s in a row so he hit me for S20) Ok I roll a 5++. Failed. damn.. it happens. then he rolls on the chart and... ANOTHER FREAKING 6!!!! Come on! The blast goes out and claims one guardsman.

So at this point its a tie because I still hold the one in his zone with 2 squads and he has mine. My maneuverability is gone after almost all the raiders are burning hulks on the ground. roll to see if we continue. Of course we do.

then on his turn 3 battle cannons the 1 remaining master of the ordnance and every weapon he had that could reach out and touch me fired on those 2 squads. I have cover feel no pain and fearless on them. He put just enough that with the last multi laser he dropped my last wych. Freaking loss.

After the game he said that he knew that he was going to lose after turn 1 and all the crap that I killed of his. Then the dice gods parted the clouds, a ray of light came down from the heavens and I heard a booming voice. "WE HATE YOU FITZ". It was the most lopsided loss in the history of my 40k career.

I don't mind losing if I was outplayed, if my tactics were wrong, if i put too much faith in one squad or vehicle, but to lose like this.... there is just no lesson from it. I cant fix my mistakes because I didnt see any that I made.


The dice purge has already begun.....

No comments:

Post a Comment