Saturday, April 9, 2011

Balanceing act

I was just reminded about why I don't discuss game balance on the Internet. Here or anywhere. Sure I might joke about it but I don't get in depth at all.


I was over on 3++ is the new black (great site) And there was a discussion going on about the 5th edition codex and if they are balanced or not.

This is what made me WTFBBQ?!

5 Devs + 5 Devs, 8 ML = 300pts
10 Fangs, 8 ML = 230 pts

(And that's only because Vanilla Devs are overcosted; BA gets them for 260, which is a much more fair price.)

SM and SW are actually very balanced in terms of shooty because SW can't get good shooty in its Troop slots, bar Razors (which are good but have their own issues.) 

 The numbers shown here for the devastator squads show the literal codex creep.
C:SM 300pts
C:BA 260pts
C:SW 230pts
yeah nothing there it looks completely legit to me. Especially because the guys at the bottom can split their fire and if they get assaulted they can counter attack if the need arises. Nope I see no issue here.

This is just one example of the creep that the game sees. The funny part is I don't see it as codex creep, I see it as financial situation creep. Whenever GW as a company is hurting for money, they have the writers release one of these monster codexes. The latest GK book shows some of that.
GW goes for a hail mary and throws out a book with uber units, amazing characters, new unit choices, add expensive as all hell boxes. All to get them back in the black.

Now I think I have spotted the pattern.
New edition (much lamenting and buying of new rulebook)
Space Marines (New units released that are under costed in points so you have to get them)
Xenos (band wagon jumpers switch buy a few units then switch back to their SM armies)
Imperial (Uber to recoup the losses from not selling much of the last xenos codex)
Xenos (band wagon jumpers switch buy a few units then switch back to their SM armies)
Imperial (Uber to recoup the losses from not selling much of the last xenos codex)
Xenos (band wagon jumpers switch buy a few units then switch back to their SM armies)

rinse, repeat, until new edition

I think that is what we are seeing now, The Dark Eldar jumpers have already gone back to their imperial armies, The grey Knights are the new hawtness with amazing rules and over powered models. The next xenos be it Tau or Necrons will have some punch to it. but it will be seen as a one trick pony which the next imperial book will negate and the cycle will continue until the next edition.

Again this is one of the few times you are gonna see me post about game balance on the Internet. The Internet is full of armchair generals, financial advisers, and just plain trolls. I just accept the fact that the game is not a balanced one to drive the sale of little grey plastic men and that GW will never change their empires source of income.

But meet me in person and I will talk your ear off about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment