Friday, March 5, 2010

Tuesday night generals

In my last game at my FLGS I was playing against a friend of mine Chris. Hes mostly a fantasy player and it was his first game with his new 40k orks playing against my deathwing which I was also playing for the first time. All in all it was a fun game and good experience for both of us. I managed to squeak out a win in a kill point scenario, but more on that later.

But what got me was the many rules lawyers and armchair generals we had around the table. At any point we had about 3 ppl looking up rules and telling us where we were making mistakes. Now I know its a nessisary evil in a game where there is a new player and I still have 3rd edition deep in my memory always trying to get out but c'mon, go play and if you want to be a rules lawyer have your opponent sit there while you have your face buried in the rulebook.

On that note there are alot of what I like to call arm chair generals as well. (sometimes the two are one in the same.) These are the guys who have come in after work to pick up a box, paint, or just to hang out with the guys. There is one in particular that we all call "The Kommisar" and I wont get into him much here as I am designing a whole post about him. But they will sit down next to you and whisper tactics in your ear. Now I am a firm beliver against this because then it is not you playing your army. If you win useing there tactices, did you really win, did you learn anything, will you make the same discion in a tournomet setting?

Oh well rant over. back to the game. Yeah I just barely squeaked a win out 6 to 7 in favor of the deathwing. Highlighs of the game were Belial getting "gunned down" by a slugga mob after he lost his retinue in a assault. A good scatter on the deep stike letting a heavy flamer kill 15 boys that were ranked up. Killing both of his battle wagons in one turn by assaulting chainfists. Haveing to explain to the chapter master how I lost 3 terminators to an exploding battle wagon. (dicegods hate me). And a whole squad of termiantors still on the teleport deck screaming at the tech priest when the deep strike scatter sent then into a huge swirling melee in the middle of the board. "Im givvin er all i got cappin!" I think I set the chapter back 100 years today...

On a blog related note I bought a digital camera, a cheap one, so eventualy I will get battle reports going and post pics of my armies and some how tos on my extensive (if a little deranged) converting habits. The goal with the death wing is to not have one un modified model on the field.

1 comment:

  1. That was a great game. Next time I'll crush you mercilessly.

    ReplyDelete