Thursday, March 3, 2011

When it all goes wrong


Ive had some good games these last few weeks. In fact I haven't lost a game since the last tournament here. (that means I'm set up for a 0-3 run at the tourney) This post is not to boast, its not to say I am the bestest, because I know I'm not. This is about the other side of the table, what do you do when no matter where you turn everything is turning to crap.



Its all happened to us. "All I need is a 2+ and I win." or "Ha I have a re-roll on my ld 10 I cant fail." Then the angels start singing, the clouds part and a beam of holy light shines on those dice. As you roll them a booming voice fills the room. "FAIL!" and everything you needed just doesn't come through.

This is what has been happening to my regular opponent John. Hes a good Imperial guard player. Hes been doing this for longer than I have. Its just right now the dice gods have cursed him for whatever heresy he has committed in their name.
I played him with my deathwing last week, that's right my death wing, and he was playing a hybrid guard list with lots of transports and some outflanking blobs. His first turn he killed nothing. then on my turn I blew up 2 chimeras and started to roll onto his side of the board. his next turn he killed 1 terminator and immobilized my land raider. My next turn I killed 2 russes and the remaining chimeras. Then his reserves showed up on my weak flank (lets face it deathwing is gonna have a weak one I just cant cover the board with them) He spent the next 2 turns getting one squad off an objective and not making it to the others.

There was nothing wrong in his play or list. It was ALL the dice rolls. I remember he swung 12 power weapons at me in one round of cc and did only 1 wound. 2 squads got FRFSRF orders and only did 4 wounds on a squad. Then whenever he had to make a ld test it failed.

I feel bad for johns dice rolls and this isn't the first time it has done that to him. It has been a whole month of crap from his dice. I do give him credit even though the writing was on the wall in most of his matches in the past month he has never given up.

My question is if you aren't in a tourney setting, what do you personally do? We've all had those games. Do you press onward damning the odds or do you politely concede and make the bleeding stop?


(ps on a side note only 5 more boxes of bezerkers untill my Khorne counts-as Space Wolves are complete)

No comments:

Post a Comment